Aim of the blog

The purpose of the blog is to post your favourite first day activities and pick up other ideas from other teachers on the blog. Hopefully, we can use this blog to keep on sharing ideas throughout the year.


Any good activities?

Any good activities?

viernes, 3 de octubre de 2008

Grammar Auction

This was posted by Pascal as a comment on my request for a discussion based section for the (very good) Activities session today (3/10/08). Last year's session included a group materials evaluation that just happens to be a type of activity I prefer. It's one thing to know that an activity is good - it's another to know how to be sure it's right for your students! Just a bee I have in my bonnet.

Anyway, I think it should really be posted as a distinct activity. Normally I do a grammar auction at almost all levels at some point in each course. Pascal outlines below it's value as an activity early in the course. Also good for exam revision.

This was the comment-

Pascal Shaw dijo...
Perhaps a way to start a new class is with a grammar auction/10 incorrect sentences with errors based on new and old grammar they will encounter during the course (based on the course book content). This is a pair work activity as well as an introduction to the course, as you can then indicate what you will be covering and what they should already know. I did this last year and it worked although it did freak them out a little.

I'll certainly be using this or a version of it, but if you're unsure exactly what a grammar auction is or want more info on how best to present it, Pascal's the one to contact.

3 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

At the beginning of UAB we used to do introductory letters which we posted on an OHP filled with mistakes. They then had to read through the leter in pairs and talk about the mistakes. You then ask one of the students to go to the board and correct the mistakes. This combines the grammar auction with personal information about the teacher. You could get them to write an introductory letter to you as well.

Here's an example:

Dear ..............,

My name is Pascal and I was born in Oxford, one city who is often
visited by many tourists in the summer. I am 43 years and haven't
any brothers, so I am a single child. My mother is French and now live in St Cebria, near my town of Arenys de Munt. My father is British and his living in the South of England. I grew in a market town called Salisbury, who has a famous cathedral.

I leaved school when I was 18 and went to the University in the
Midlands for study. When I have left University I traveled a lot and worked in different works, because I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do. Now I found a work that I like and I am teaching English for about 12 years now.

I was living in Barcelona for 6 years and it liked me a lot. Is a stylish and lively city, although the noise pollution can sometimes be overwhelming. Of course the weather is better than England and Spanish food is excellent! We like live in the mountains and herefore we moved out the city.

I have three boys (Alec 8, Patrick 6 and Arianna 3) Well that's enough of me. Write back and say me something of you. Take care !

Hugh L dijo...

This seems a really good variation and I'll have to give it a try - but who's going to read it as a comment. Should be posted as a distinct activity!

Hugh L dijo...

Apologies for the punctuation error in the previous comment!

Just a thought arising from Pascal's post, because this is something I very often DO even if I won't admit it's something I'm GUILTY OF, but how many of us regularly shelve successful activities? And why?